WordPress 5.9 ZIP File Size Skyrocketed by 25%
The latest WordPress version named in honor Joséphine Baker had a huge file increase ever recorded in WordPress history, the total ZIP file add over 4MB and for the first time passes the 20MB, a 25% increase compare to the previous version.
It is natural that from version to version the file size increases, but from time to time we witness changes that deviate from the norm.
In terms of absolute file size, WordPress 5.9 broke the previous record set in version 5.6 released in December 2020.
- WordPress 5.9 – ZIP file increased by 4,194,690 bytes.
- WordPress 5.6 – ZIP file increased by 2,529,912 bytes.
- WordPress 4.9 – ZIP file increased by 1,504,645 bytes.
- WordPress 3.8 – ZIP file increased by 1,324,263 bytes.
- WordPress 5.3 – ZIP file increased by 1,223,182 bytes.
In terms of percentage, WordPress 5.9 file size increased by 25%! Although it’s impressive but it’s not high percentage compare to other version. The 7th largest file increase in terms of percentage.
- WordPress 2.0 – ZIP file increased by 70%.
- WordPress 2.1 – ZIP file increased by 41%.
- WordPress 2.5 – ZIP file increased by 31%.
- WordPress 2.8 – ZIP file increased by 27%.
- WordPress 3.2 – ZIP file increased by 27%.
Check the full data in WordPress ZIP File Size by Version.